Comment fonctionne le PVT Canada ? / The Working Holiday permit in Canada

Hi everyone! I’m Julie from the pvtistes team. Today, I’m going to answer the most frequently asked questions about the Working Holiday permit (WHP) to Canada. What’s a “Working Holiday permit”? And what’s so great about it? Typically, if you want to come work in Canada, you have to find a job and an employer before applying for a work permit. The process is much easier with the Working Holiday permit. And it gives you the chance to travel, work, volunteer or take language classes in Canada for 12-24 months (depending on your citizenship). Canada has signed around 30 bilateral Working Holiday agreements with other countries. Do I need to find a job first? No. You don’t have to secure a job before leaving home. You don’t even have to work during your stay if you have enough money to support yourself or if you’d rather volunteer. How does the application process work? The first thing to know is that applicants for the WHP to Canada are selected randomly. “Rounds of invitations” (to apply) take place regularly over the span of several months. The application is a multi-step process. First, you have to submit your profile to a pool of candidates. Then, you have to be patient and keep your fingers crossed that your profile will be drawn. If it is, you will be able to submit your application for the WHP to Canada. In most cases, there are more applicants than Working Holiday permits available. Therefore, as the selection process is completely random, there’s no guarantee you will be invited to apply and be granted a WHP. Are candidates selected based on their application? No. Candidates are not selected based on their education, work experience or language skills. Seriously? There’s no profile selection? Seriously. All you need is a bit of luck! What’s the age limit? You must be 18-30 years old or 18-35 years old, depending on your country of citizenship. This means that to apply you must be at least 18 and your profile must be drawn before you turn 31 (or 36, depending on your citizenship). The date that matters is the date when your profile is drawn, not the date when you submit your profile to the pool. Where should I submit my profile? You must submit your profile on the dedicated Government of Canada website (we’ll add the link in the description). When should I submit my profile? You can submit your profile anytime during the ongoing IEC season, before the last round of invitations. It’s best to submit it early in the season because statistically, the odds of being drawn are higher—but you can submit it anytime. Do I have to resubmit my profile after each round of invitations? No (phew!). Your profile remains in the pool for the entire year-long IEC season. You only have to resubmit your profile if you did get an Invitation to apply and failed to follow up within ten days. “Failing to follow up” means that you didn’t accept or decline the Invitation to apply. In this case, if you still want to go to Canada, you can resubmit your profile and your odds to be drawn again will be the same as for every other candidate. What am I supposed to do if my profile is drawn? First, keep deadlines in mind. If your profile is drawn, you have ten days to accept the Invitation to apply. Then you have 20 days to:
1. Fill out the application forms; 2. Provide all required supporting documents; 3. Pay the fees. At most 24 hours after submitting your full application you will receive instructions to provide your biometrics data. You have up to 30 days to complete this mandatory step. What documents do I need to provide? All you need to submit your profile is your passport. If your profile is drawn, you will have to provide: 1.Your resume 2. A passport-sized picture 3. Scanned copies of your passport You may also have to provide: A national identity document Proof of a medical exam (performed by an approved panel physician) Police certificate(s) We have a lot more info on the process, check out our guide (linked in the description). At this stage, applicants don’t have to provide proof of funds or proof of health insurance. These two documents are usually required when you land in Canada. Do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)? Travellers who fly to a Canadian airport usually need an eTA. But when you apply for a Working Holiday, a Young Professionals or an International Co-op (Internship) work permit, your eTA will be issued to you at the same time as your work permit. You should see an eTA number on your personal account (on the Government of Canada website)—just check! Note that your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first—your eTA is linked to your passport. What should I do if my passport is expired or expires soon? You can’t apply for a WHP with an expired passport. Renew it first before initiating the process. However, if your passport is still valid for a few months, no worries. You can still submit your profile to the pool. In the meantime, apply for a new passport. Between two rounds of invitations, withdraw your profile and submit it again with your new passport number. If your passport expires in the coming months and if your profile is drawn sooner than expected, no worries! Just submit your application and renew your passport before coming to Canada. In this case, the Government of Canada recommends bringing copies or your old passport when you travel to Canada. Upon landing, present your new passport, and explain you’ve renewed it. If you’re asked further questions, just show the copy of your old passport. A final and very important point! If you change your passport at any point after your WHP was issued and before coming to Canada, apply for a new eTA. Just go on the Government of Canada eTA page and pay the $7 fee (don’t pay more, this is the official fee!). Can I apply for a WHP from outside my country of citizenship? Yes, you can apply for a WHP from anywhere in the world, including from Canada. Just make sure you know where to go to give your biometrics. Note that citizens from several countries must give either a residential or mailing address in their country of citizenship. However, it’s not an issue if you’re abroad for a defined period of time, for instance if you’re in Australia or in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa. – What’s the fee for a WHP to Canada? Submitting your profile to the pool is free. If your profile is drawn and if you choose to submit your application, you will have to pay a fee of $338. How will I know if I get an Invitation to apply? Some candidates receive an email from the Government of Canada. This email states that you have a new message in your IRCC account and provides a login link. It doesn’t explicitly say, “hey, you’ve received an Invitation to apply!” We’ve noticed that many applicants do not receive this email. Therefore, it’s best to log into your IRCC account at least once a week to check. This way, you guarantee that you won’t miss the 10-day deadline to accept or decline the Invitation to apply. What does “processing time: up to 8 weeks” mean? The official processing time is up to 8 weeks, but this is to process applications submitted by candidates who received an Invitation to apply. Submitting your profile to a pool isn’t the same as submitting an application. Processing time doesn’t apply, you’re just waiting to be drawn. And you could be waiting for much longer than 8 weeks. Plenty of profiles in the pool will not be drawn during the IEC season and applicants will have to try their luck again the following season and resubmit their profile if still interested. Do I really have to give my biometrics? As of July 2018, yes you do. If your profile is drawn, giving your fingerprints and having your picture taken is part of the requirements. What if I already have a biometric passport? It’s irrelevant, you have to go through the biometrics step anyway. When and how should I give my biometrics? You have to give your biometrics after submitting your application, i.e. after filling out forms, providing supporting documents and paying the fee. You will receive instructions to give your biometrics at most 24 hours after submitting your application. You will have to make an appointment in a visa application centre. You need to make an appointment. If there’s no biometric service available where you live, you’ll have to find the location closest to you. If I get a WHP, will my spouse or partner get one too? No. Every traveller to Canada must have their own immigration status. Even if you’re married, the fact that you got a WHP doesn’t give your spouse the right to come to Canada with you or the right to work in Canada. It’s a bit tricky, but there is a workaround for spouses or common-law partners. Note that a “common-law partnership” refers to two people who have been living together for at least 12 months and can prove it (shared lease or bank account, etc.). This workaround is for WHP holders who secure a skilled job. A “skilled job” is a National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B job. Once the WHP holder starts working and receives at least three pay stubs, their common-law partner or spouse can apply for an open work permit. As a WHP holder, can I bring my kids to Canada? If you travel to Canada with your kids, they will have one of these immigration statuses: 1. Visitor;
2. Visitor with the right to study; 3. Student with a study permit. Children with a visitor status must each get their own eTA before travelling to Canada. Also keep in mind that you need additional funds to show that you can support them financially. You have to buy them their own health insurance coverage for the entire duration of their stay in Canada. While this is not mandatory for visitors, don’t forget that healthcare costs are high in Canada. For more info about travelling to Canada with your significant other and/or with kids, check out our guide (link in the description). What’s the deadline to come to Canada once I get my WHP? Once the WHP issued, you have up to 12 months to land in Canada. If you had a medical exam, you must travel to Canada at most 12 months after it was done. If you’re unsure, remember that the deadline is on your Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction—open it from a computer, it doesn’t play well with smartphones. If you don’t travel to Canada by the 12-month deadline, your WHP expires and it’s lost forever. You will not be eligible to apply again (there are exceptions for the lucky citizens of these few countries) So if you were lucky enough to be drawn from the pool, make sure you’ll be ready to travel to Canada in the next 12 or 13 months. If not, it may be wise to decline the Invitation to apply. Your profile will remain in the pool and it may be drawn again at a later date. Do I have to spend 12 or 24 months in Canada? No. This is the maximum stay allowed but you can spend just six or eight months in Canada if you wish. Just keep in mind that you’re only eligible for the WHP once (there are exceptions). So if you’re only going to stay in Canada for three months, you won’t be able to apply for another WHP to Canada four or five years later (see link about exceptions in the description). Note that 24-month-long WHPs are not 12 months + 12 months like in Australia, but 24 months in a row. What documents do I need to show when I arrive? When you land in Canada, to ensure you get a full 12-month or 24-month WHP, you should present: Your passport, valid for the entire duration of your stay; A bank statement issued at most a week earlier showing you have at least CA$2,500 (or this amount in another currency) A ticket for your departure from Canada or sufficient funds to purchase your return ticket; Proof of health insurance for the entire duration of your stay. If you come with a six-month insurance policy, you may be issued a six-month WHP and you won’t be able to extend it. To learn more about your first steps in Canada, download our free “Guide to a Working Holiday in Canada.” You’ll find the PDF version on: Can I leave the country when I’m in Canada on a WHP? You can totally leave Canada and come back as many times as you want when your WHP is valid. You can go home for a bit or explore Mexico or the US, for instance! Is the application process the same for all Working Holiday destinations? No, eligibility requirements depend on your country of citizenship and the country of destination. Indeed, every country negotiates its own set of bilateral agreement(s) (quota restriction or unlimited spots). Use our Working Holiday destinations tool (linked in the description) to find out where you can go on a Working Holiday adventure. If you have any question about the Working Holiday Programme, please ask it on our NEW Facebook group: “International Experience Canada (IEC) 2020: Working Holiday, YP, Internship”


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *